The Royal National Agricultural and Industrial Association of Queensland ABN 41 417 513 726 trading as the Brisbane Showgrounds, Ekka (also known as the Royal Queensland Show) and the Royal International Convention Centre, as assisted by the related bodies and agencies associated with the Royal Queensland Food & Wine Show (together the RNA), operates with a primary objective of promoting and encouraging the development of agricultural, pastoral, horticultural, industrial, manufacturing and cultural resources in Queensland, Australia.
In the course of our business operations in Australia, we host the annual Ekka, the Royal Queensland Food & Wine Show and numerous other exhibitions, shows, conferences, social gatherings, competitions, promotions and functions through which we collect personal information.
The RNA is committed to protecting your privacy by ensuring that any personal information we collect, or may in the future collect, is handled in compliance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act) as amended from time to time. This policy sets out our personal information management policies and obligations under the Australian Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act.
Information we collect
This policy applies to personal information, being information or opinions about an individual whose identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained from the information.
Depending on the primary purpose of collection (see below), the RNA may collect and hold personal information including but not limited to:
- your name;
- your addresses (including e-mail addresses);
- your other contact details;
- your date and place of birth (where required to provide you with the goods or services);
- details regarding your occupation, job position and industry;
details regarding your expertise and interests;
- your financial and credit information;
- any information required to engage you or to consider offering you employment; and
- any other information you consent to provide or which assists us in providing you with our goods and services, conducting our business, marketing our services and meeting our legal obligations.
We may also collect sensitive personal information such as health information, criminal history, and memberships of professional or trade associations where required by the RNA in the provision of its services, and with the consent of the individual. Generally, we do not collect sensitive information from customers and competition entrants.
How we collect personal information
We may collect your personal information from a number of sources including:
- most commonly, directly from you such as when you contract and correspond with us or register your details on our websites;
- your current and previous employers;
- trade references;
- our employees, subcontractors, suppliers and agents;
- our business associates and other third party sources; and
- through your activity inside the Ekka iPhone application and RNA websites.
Why we use and disclose the personal information we collect
We take reasonable steps to use and disclose personal information for the primary purpose for which we collect it. The primary purpose for which information is collected varies, depending on the particular service being provided or the individual from whom we are collecting the information but is generally as follows:
- In the case of customers:
to allow access to and conduct the Ekka, the Royal Queensland Awards and other events; and
to provide you with goods and services;
- In the case of competition entrants:
to hold competitions;
to create competition event timetables and schedules;
to assess entries; and
to allocate prizes to winners;
- In the case of subcontractors, suppliers, commercial exhibitors, carnival licensees and agents:
to assess your suitability for employment or engagement;
to assist us to conduct the Ekka, the Royal Queensland Awards and other events;
to assist us in providing goods and services to our customers; and
to efficiently coordinate events involving the hire of venues on the Brisbane Showground;
- In the case of prospective employees to assess your suitability for employment or engagement;
- In the case of members:
- to effectively manage the RNA; and
- to provide you with membership benefits;
- In the case of prospective members - to assess your suitability for membership of the RNA;
- In the case of supporters (being donors and any individuals that register for details of our events or projects) - to provide you with:
convenient means for making donations;
details of events and activities; and
newsletters and marketing material.
We may use and disclose your personal information for the primary purposes for which it is collected and for reasonably expected secondary purposes, other circumstances authorised by the Privacy Act, and as otherwise consented to by you.
Some secondary purposes may include:
- to record entries and results in competitions;
- to communicate with you;
- to facilitate and process transactions with you;
- to perform administrative functions;
- to comply with our legal obligations; and
- to generally help us manage and enhance our services.
Disclosure of personal information
From time to time, we may disclose personal information about you to third parties such as:
- technology and administrative service providers and outsourcing contractors;
- exhibitors and the general public through publication in catalogues;
- other companies or individuals who assist us in providing services or who perform functions on our behalf (such as mailing houses and specialist consultants and our related companies);
- third parties with whom we have a business relationship for the purpose of them providing products and services to you and marketing to you;
- court, tribunals and regulatory authorities;
- police and other law enforcement agencies; and
- anyone else to whom you authorise us to disclose it to.
Access to and correcting personal information
You may request access to the personal information held by us or ask us for your personal information to be corrected.
We will grant you access to your personal information as soon as possible, subject to the request circumstances.
In keeping with our commitment to protect the privacy of personal information, we may not disclose personal information to you without proof of identity.
We may deny access to personal information if:
- the request is unreasonable;
- providing access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of another person;
- providing access would pose a serious and imminent threat to the life or health of any person; or
- there are other legal grounds to deny the request.
We may charge a fee for reasonable costs incurred in responding to an access request. The fee (if any) will be disclosed before it is levied.
CCTV privacy notice
The Brisbane Showgrounds precinct is protected by Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) 24 hours a day.
The RNA is committed to ensuring that personal information that is collected by our CCTV system is handled in line with the requirements of the Privacy Act 1988 and associated Australian Privacy Principles.
The CCTV system is used to provide a safe and secure work environment for our staff, visitors and members of the public that use and travel through the precinct throughout the week. This surveillance is used to deter any form of aggressive, harmful or unlawful behaviour, and to assist in identifying offenders. If an incident occurs, the recordings that we hold may be provided as evidence to law enforcement authorities such as the police, to assist with their investigations and enquiries.
The circumstances under which a third party may be shown CCTV footage include:
- Unlawful acts (police).
- Work Health and Safety complaints.
- When required by law (e.g. a court-order).
Copies of CCTV footage are retained for 60 days. No alterations are made to footage prior to disposal. Copies of footage can be requested, if you believe that images of yourself are included, by contacting the RNA Privacy Officer (contact details are noted below).
Anonymity and pseudonyms
It is generally not possible to use a pseudonym or remain anonymous when dealing with us. If you want to use a pseudonym or remain anonymous when dealing with us, you should notify us and we will try to accommodate your request, subject to our ability to do so.
If you want to make a complaint about an alleged breach of your privacy, you must follow the following process:
- The complaint must first be made to us in writing, using the contact details in the 'Who to Contact' section. We will have a reasonable time to respond to the complaint.
- If the privacy issue cannot be resolved, you may take your complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
Who to contact
If you would like to know more about how we handle personal information, make a complaint, correct, or request access to personal information we hold about you, please contact the RNA Privacy Officer on:
Phone: + 61 7 3253 3900
Address: RNA Privacy Officer
The Royal National Agricultural and Industrial Association of Queensland
Locked Bag 1010
ALBION QLD 4010
Acknowledgement and Consent
By disclosing your personal information to us (including but not limited to through your use of our websites or applications), you are indicating that you consent to us collecting, using and disclosing your personal information on the terms set out in this policy, as modified from time to time without prior notice. If you do not consent to any of the above, please contact the RNA Privacy Officer.
This website (excluding any linked third party sites) is owned and operated by The Royal National Agricultural and Industrial Association of Queensland ABN 41 417 513 726 (RNA) trading as Brisbane Showgrounds, Ekka (also known as the Royal Queensland Show), Royal International Convention Centre, and related bodies and agencies associated with the Royal Queensland Food & Wine Show.
Your access to this site is conditional upon your acceptance and compliance with the terms of this document (General Terms). Your use of, and/or access to, this site constitutes your agreement to be bound by these General Terms. The RNA reserves the right to amend these General Terms at any time without giving prior notice. Any subsequent use by you of the site indicates your acceptance of such amendment.
The RNA endeavours to provide accurate and up-to-date information on its website, however it makes no representations about the accuracy or suitability of the information or links provided on its web site. Without limitation, this extends to any market research or commentary contained in this website.
The information is provided 'as is' without express or implied warranty. You must make your own independent enquiries before relying on any information provided in this website. To the extent permitted by law, the RNA excludes:
- all warranties whether express, implied, statutory or otherwise, relating in any way to this website or your use of this website; and
- all liability (including for negligence) to you or anyone else in respect of any loss or damage (including special, indirect, or consequential loss or damage such as loss of revenue, unavailability of systems or loss of data) however caused by, arising from or in connection with any use of this website or the information on or accessed through it.
Where legislation implies a term, representation or warranty into your accessing of this website that cannot be excluded, then that term is included. However, to the extent permitted by law, the RNA's liability for any breach of that term is limited to supplying the services again.
If you have any comments or queries, please contact us.
© Copyright 2015 The Royal National Agricultural and Industrial Association of Queensland
This website and its contents are subject to copyright under the laws of Australia and, through international treaties, other countries. The Copyright is owned by the RNA, or in the case of some of the materials, by third parties.
The material on this website may be downloaded for personal use only and may not be used for any other purpose without the prior written consent of the RNA. You must not reproduce, transmit, adapt or otherwise exercise the copyright in the whole or any part of this website except with the prior written consent of the RNA.
Trade Mark Notice
This site includes registered and unregistered trade marks including but not limited to the Ekka word mark, the Royal International Convention Centre Brisbane Australia logo, the Ekka Strawberry Sundae logo, and the Brisbane Showgrounds logo. Unless otherwise indicated they are owned by the RNA in Australia and may be the subject of rights in other countries.
You must not use any of the RNA trade marks or trading names except with the prior written consent of the RNA.
Third Party Sites
This website includes links to third party sites. The RNA is not responsible for the condition or the content of those sites. Links to third party sites are provided for convenience only and do not indicate any endorsement of the site or the products or services provided at those sites or by the organisations promoting those sites. You access those sites and use the products or services available at those sites solely at your own risk and the RNA excludes all liability in respect of such use.
This website (excluding any linked third party sites) is controlled by the RNA in Queensland, Australia. By accessing this site, you accept that any disputes about this website or its contents are to be determined by the Courts having jurisdiction in Queensland in accordance with the laws in force in Queensland.
This website may be accessed throughout Australia and overseas. The RNA makes no representation that the content of this website complies with the laws (including intellectual property laws) of any country outside Australia. If you access this site from outside Australia, you do so at your own risk and you are responsible for ensuring compliance with all laws in the place where you are located.
Privacy Collection Statement
Our primary purposes for collecting information varies depending on the party we are collecting information from but are generally as follows:
- in the case of customers - to allow access to and conduct the Ekka, the Royal Queensland Food & Wine Show and other events and to provide goods and services in conjunction with these events;
- in the case of competition entrants - to hold competitions, create competition event timetables and schedules, assess entries and allocate prizes to winners;
- in the case of subcontractors, suppliers, commercial exhibitors, carnival licensees and agents:
- to assess suitability for employment or engagement:
- to assist us to conduct the Ekka, the Royal Queensland Food & Wine Show and other events;
- to assist us in providing goods and services to our customers; and
- to efficiently coordinate events involving the hire of venues on the Brisbane Showground;
- in the case of prospective employees - to assess suitability for employment;
- in the case of members - to effectively manage the RNA and provide benefits to members;
- in the case of prospective members - to assess suitability for membership of the RNA; and
- in the case of supporters (being donors and any individuals that register for details of our events or projects) - to provide convenient means for making donations, details of events and activities and newsletters and marketing material.
In the case of customers, we may also use or disclose a customer's personal information for other secondary purposes such as to keep records of transactions, competition entries and results; to communicate with you; to facilitate and process transactions with you; to perform administrative functions to comply with our legal obligations; and to generally help us manage and enhance our services.
We usually collect personal information directly from the individual concerned. We may also collect personal information from other sources, such as from employees, subcontractors, suppliers and agents, trade references, your current and previous employers, our business associates and other third party sources and through your activity inside the Ekka iPhone application and the RNA websites.
If you do not provide us with your personal information, we may not be able to transact with you, or provide you with our goods and services.
We may disclose personal information to other entities such as subcontractors, suppliers, service providers and agents; exhibitors and the general public through publication in catalogues; third parties with whom we have a business relationship for the purpose of them providing products and services to you and marketing to you; court, tribunals and regulatory authorities; police and other law enforcement agencies; and anyone else to whom you authorise us to disclose it to. We do not disclose credit information to any credit reporting body.
Terms and Conditions - Competition & Giveaways
- The Royal National Agricultural and Industrial Association of Queensland ABN 41 417 513 726 (RNA) trading as the Brisbane Showgrounds, Ekka and the Royal International Convention Centre is the promoter of the competition (Promoter).
- Submitting an entry to the competition is deemed acceptance of these Terms and Conditions by each entrant
- The competition commences and closes at the time (AEST) and on the date specified (Promotional Period). Any entries made before or after the Promotional Period will not be accepted and will be deemed invalid.
- Entry is open to specified Eligible Entrants only. The members, management and employees of the Promoter are not eligible to enter.
- To enter the competition Eligible Entrants must take the specified actions during the Promotional Period.
- There may be a limit of entry per person and will be specified.
- Prize details and value of the prize will be specified. The Prize(s) is not transferable, exchangeable or redeemable for cash or for use in resale.
- Winners will be selected by specified method and on the date as stated.
- The winners will be notified via email or by telephone, and the winner's name and any entry materials submitted may be published on the RNA website, on the promoters' Facebook page and on any other media forum, determined at the Promoter's discretion, for the purpose of promoting the competition and the goods and services offered by the Promoter
- Eligible Entrants consent to the submitted material being used as set out in paragraph 9 without any attribution of authorship or other recognition of moral rights
- The Prize(s) may be subject to availability at the time the winners are announced. If a particular Prize is not available, the Promoter will provide a prize of equivalent value (to be determined at the Promoter's absolute discretion)
- The Promoter will not be liable for any damage arising from the delivery of the Prize to the winner.
- The winner must sign any legal documentation required by the Promoter in its absolute discretion as a condition of accepting the Prize.
- The Promoter's decision in relation to any aspect of the competition is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- If the competition is interfered with in any way or cannot be conducted for any reason beyond the reasonable control of the Promoter, the Promoter reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to the fullest extent permitted by law, (a) to disqualify any entrant; or (b) to modify, extend, suspend, terminate or cancel the competition without prior notice, as appropriate.
- Without limiting paragraph 15, if for any reason any aspect of the competition is considered in the reasonable opinion of the Promoter to no longer be practical or desirable to run as planned for any reason, is not capable of running as planned, including by reason of infection by computer virus, network failure, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures, legally binding directive to the Promoter to end any component of the competition or any causes beyond the control of the Promoter which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the competition, the Promoter reserves the right in its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify, extend or suspend the competition and the Promotional Period, subject to any written directions of any relevant authority.
- The Promoter reserves the right to verify the validity of any entries and entrants (including an entrant's identity, age, address and eligibility details).
- The Promoter accepts no responsibility for late, lost, incomplete, incorrectly submitted, delayed, illegible, corrupted or misdirected entries, claims or correspondence whether due to error, omission, alteration, deletion, theft, destruction, transmissions interruption, communications failure or otherwise. The Promoter has no control over communications networks or lines and accepts no responsibility for any problems associated with them, whether due to traffic congestion, technical malfunction or otherwise. In the event that an error with an entry occurs, the Promoter accepts no responsibility whatsoever for costs incurred, responses received or any other consequences.
- The Promoter is not liable for any loss, damage, injury or death of any person in connection with a competition or Prize, except liability that cannot be excluded by law in which case that liability is limited to the minimum allowable by law.
- Eligible Entrants indemnify the Promoter and its related entities and agents from any loss, damage or expense arising from a breach of these Terms and Conditions by the Eligible Entrants.
- The promoter may assign its rights under these Terms and Conditions to any third party.
- All entries (including but not limited to any intellectual property rights in the entry) become the property of the Promoter.
- Each Eligible Entrant consents to the Promoter using their contact details and other personal information for any purpose to which the Eligible Entrant has consented including future promotional, marketing and publicity purposes. Eligible Entrants may contact the Promoter to request access to, update or correct any personal information held about them.
- The competition is not sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, twitter, or any other social network
Terms and Conditions for Ticket Sales and Entry
Application of terms
A reference to "RNA" in these Terms and Conditions is to The Royal National Agricultural and Industrial Association of Queensland ABN 41 417 513 726 trading as the Brisbane Showgrounds, Ekka (also known as the Royal Queensland Show) and the Royal International Convention Centre, and the related bodies and agencies associated with the Royal Queensland Food & Wine Show.
A reference to "Event Ticket" in these Terms and Conditions is to an admission ticket to any service, event or performance that is managed, produced, promoted, presented or otherwise provided by the RNA.
By purchasing an Event Ticket through the RNA or its authorised agents you are acknowledging and agreeing to be bound by these Terms and Conditions, as well as any other conditions specified by the RNA on its website.
The RNA's conditions of entry are incorporated into these Terms and Conditions and apply to your Event Ticket.
Your Event Ticket may be subject to additional terms, which will be notified to you prior to purchase. These Terms and Conditions will prevail to the extent that there is any inconsistency between additional terms and these Terms and Conditions.
Ticket availability, pricing and purchases
- Event Tickets are only valid if purchased through the RNA or its authorised agents.
- Prices of Event Tickets are subject to change without notice.
- Sales and bookings of Event Tickets may be subject to order limits and the RNA may cancel or refuse to accept orders that it believes to be in excess of any such limits.
- By purchasing an Event Ticket, you warrant that you have the authority to make payment for your Event Ticket and that you own or have express permission of the owner of the credit card or other payment facility used to purchase the Event Ticket.
- Event Tickets must not be offered for resale, except via the RNA's authorised agents.
Cancellation and changes
- The operation of some attractions may be affected by adverse weather conditions or maintenance activity.
- The RNA reserves the right to add, withdraw or substitute artists, displays, exhibitions and attractions and may vary advertised programs, prices, seating arrangements and audience capacity at its discretion.
- The RNA is not liable to refund or exchange your Event Ticket or any associated transaction fees as a result of these changes or for cancellation for any reason, except as required by law.
General conditions of entry
- The RNA reserves the right to inspect all bags and containers brought into or taken out of the Brisbane Showground and to search all persons, their clothing and other personal items.
- The RNA may refuse entry to any person carrying any item that in the RNA's absolute discretion it considers dangerous, restricted or prohibited.
- The RNA reserves the right to refuse entry to any person whose Event Ticket is damaged, has been defaced in any way, does not have a fully visible barcode or was not obtained through an authorised reseller. Only Event Tickets with a valid barcode (printed or displayed on mobile devices) are valid for entry. Fraudulent use will be referred to police.
- The RNA reserves the right to require the presentation of valid and current ID such as an Australian driver's license, Australian passport or other proof of age.
- A carer with a valid carer or companion card will receive free entry to the Brisbane Showground if they are accompanying a disabled person. This applies for one carer per disabled person.
- Persons entering the Brisbane Showground waive all rights in relation to any photograph, image or likeness of them produced whilst attending the Brisbane Showground. The RNA retains all rights in all images it produces without liability to any person for its use in any way.
- The RNA will refuse entry or eject persons from the Brisbane Showground for vandalism, stealing, offensive behaviour, queue jumping, failure to comply with directions, causing a disturbance, anti-social behaviour, and failure to comply with these Terms and Conditions.
- Any RNA staff member or duly authorised RNA representative may refuse entry or eject persons at their sole discretion.
- Smoking is prohibited other than in designated smoking areas.
- Persons accompanied by minors are responsible for the care, acts or omissions and supervision of those minors at all times.
- The RNA reserves the right to prohibit the use of cameras, audio and video recorders in the Brisbane Showground.
- Persons entering the Brisbane Showground must adhere to the Work Health and Safety laws.
- Entry to the Brisbane Showground does not guarantee or entitle the customer to automatic entry to all events and activities at the Brisbane Showground during the period of entry;
- Persons must obey all signs, notices and directions given by any of the RNA staff members or duly authorised RNA representatives whilst at the Brisbane Showground.
- Vehicles must not block emergency doors or vehicle access roads and must give way to emergency vehicles
- Persons entering the Brisbane Showground do so at their own risk. To the extent permitted by law, the RNA accepts no liability for any injury, loss or damage suffered to any person, animal or property whilst at the Brisbane Showground.
- Persons that gain unauthorised entry to the Brisbane Showground may be liable for prosecution.
- Persons entering Brisbane Showground indemnify the RNA against any loss or liability, cost or expense or damages suffered by them, or any person under their control, arising from or in relation to their acts and omissions.
Persons entering the Brisbane Showground are advised that:
- alcohol may only be consumed within designated areas
- intoxicated persons will not be permitted to enter;
- intoxicated persons will be removed from the Brisbane Showground;
- alcoholic beverages must not be taken into or removed from the Brisbane Showground and are subject to immediate confiscation;
- it is an offence for minors to purchase or consume alcohol; and
- it is an offence to sell to or supply minors with alcohol.
Restricted and prohibited items
The following items are not permitted into the Brisbane Showground and are subject to immediate confiscation:
- Glass or breakable containers;
- Cans or metal containers;
- Flares or fireworks;
- Laser pointers or any object that might be used to distract, hinder or interfere with the conduct of any event or any animal or person involved in an event;
- Knives or other dangerous weapons including potential missiles;
- Large items including eskies and bags that cannot fit under seats;
- Animals, unless approved by the RNA; and
- Alcoholic beverages;
- Illicit drugs;
- During ticketed events - scooters (except mobility scooters), skateboards, bicycles, roller blades, hover boards, segways or other equipment that may interfere with pedestrian traffic;
- Any other items that the RNA at its discretion determines may cause injury or public nuisance.